Cola-Marinated Flank Steak with Frito Chiliquiles
Crunchy Fritos with salsa is used in this delicious twist on Chiliquiles with flank steak marinated in cola topped with avocados, grated Cotija cheese and cilantro.
- 4 cups cola, preferably made with cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons jarred Thai green curry paste
- 2 Fresno chiles or jalapeños, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) flank steak, cut lengthwise and crosswise to make 4 steaks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) jar salsa verde
- 8 ounces Fritos
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Hass avocados, diced
- 3 tablespoons Cotija cheese, freshly grated
- Lime wedges, for serving
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, whisk the cola with the green curry paste and sliced Fresno chiles. Add the flank steaks and turn to coat thoroughly. Let the steaks stand at room temperature for 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan and oil the grate. Remove the flank steaks from the marinade and pat them dry. Brush the steaks with canola oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until the steaks are medium-rare, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the steaks to a work surface and let rest for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Add the salsa verde and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until slightly reduced and thickened, about 4 minutes. Add the Fritos to the salsa and cook, stirring, until the chips are soft with some crunchy bits but not falling apart, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of the cilantro and transfer the chilaquiles to a platter.
Thinly slice the steaks across the grain. Top the chilaquiles with the sliced steak and any accumulated meat juices. Scatter the avocados, Cotija cheese and remaining 1/4 cup of cilantro on top and serve immediately with lime wedges.