A family recipe that came straight from Italy, don't even bother trying other tiramisu recipes, this is the best tiramisu you will ever taste.
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups strong espresso, cooled to room temperature
- 4 large eggs or 5 small/medium eggs, separated
- 4 to 5 tablespoons sugar (one tablespoon per egg) I use a regular spoon to measure - if you use a measuring spoon it will taste sweeter (personal preference).
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 (7 to 9 ounces) package Savoiardi or Pavesini (lady fingers) These are known as Löffelbiscuits in Germany.
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (or to taste) Again, I use a regular spoon but a measuring spoon will also work.
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 250mins
In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixture till stiff peaks form but not dry; set aside.
In another medium bowl, Beat the egg yolks with sugar until creamy, about 1 minute. If not beaten well, then the filling will have an egg-y taste. Then add mascarpone cheese and mix until there are no more lumps. .
Gently fold the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture with a spatula or wooden spoon.
Dip the cookies in espresso (you can add a shot of your favourite liquer to the espresso, like rum, amaretto, brandy, Frangelico, marsala, etc.) and lay them into a 9x14 rectangular glass pan (or you may use another container/pan). You can leave 3 to 4 mm (1/4 inch) or a finger's width between each cookie for the filling, or you can place them close/next to each other so there is no filling between the lady fingers (personal preference). Pour half the mascarpone mixture onto the cookies and spread evenly across the top.
Repeat step 4 with the next layer but alternate the cookies perpendicular (or just follow the same pattern as in the first layer) to the ones in the first layer.
Refrigerate for over night for best results. If you really must, then refrigerate a minimum of 4 hours before serving but it might still be runny. Sprinkle with cocoa.
Makes 12 large pieces or 16 smaller pieces.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (904 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (685 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (406 Votes)
- Christmas Pecan Balls 4.6/5 (311 Votes)
- Chef Point Café Bread Pudding 4.5/5 (119 Votes)
- Pecan Pie Bread Pudding 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- Strawberry Angel Food Trifle 4.6/5 (76 Votes)