Mushroom Risotto - WW
Creamy risotto is so satisfying. Turn leftovers into delicious rice cakes using our tips below.
- 5 cup(s) vegetable broth, mushroom-flavor recommended
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), minced
- 1 pound(s) cremini mushroom(s), shredded or thinly sliced (also known as baby bellas)
- 1/3 cup(s) white wine
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano recommended
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh parsley, fresh, minced
Adapted from weightwatchers.com
Place broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add1 teaspoon butter and cook until melted.
Add onion; cook, stirring, until onion begins to caramelize, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release moisture, about 5 minutes. Add wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; reduce liquid by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan; set aside.
Add remaining teaspoon of butter to same pan; cook until melted. Add rice; stir to coat with butter. Pour about 1/2 cup warm broth into rice; stir to keep grains from sticking to sides of pan. Keep stirring until all of broth is absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup warm broth and repeat process. Keep adding broth and stirring in this manner until all of broth is used and rice is just cooked but not mushy (should still be slightly chewy), about 18 to 20 minutes.
Stir in vegetables and cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in parsley. Yields about 1 1/3 cups per serving.
To make rice cakes out of leftover risotto, press risotto into bottom of a small container; place in refrigerator. In the next day or two, remove risotto in one piece and cut into several slices. “Fry” risotto slices in a pan, coated with cooking spray and a little olive oil, until a light crust forms. Serve with roasted or steamed vegetables over the top (could change PointsPlus values).