SLOW COOKER CREAMY TORTELLINI, SPINACH AND CHICKEN SOUP
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups frozen cheese tortellini (or you can use fresh)
- 3 cups packed spinach (you can definitely add more than this if you want)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half and half
- 1. In a microwave-safe bowl add the
How to make it:
onions, flour, basil, garlic, tomato paste and drizzle with olive oil.
Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds or so. (The
mixture will be pasty and look weird but don’t worry it will all be okay in the
end). Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
2. Add broth, tomatoes, chicken,
salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours
or on HIGH for 3-4 hours (or until chicken is very tender).
3. Remove the lid and add in
tortellini and spinach, Parmesan cheese and warmed cream (cream should be warmed because it may
cause curdling if added in cold).
4. Use a fork to remove the chicken
out of the slow cooker. On a cutting board, shred or cut the chicken into
bite-size pieces. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker. Put
the lid back on and cook on HIGH for about 10 more minutes, or until the
tortellini are cooked through. Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy!