Morning Baked Bluefish
- 3 bluefish - (3 lbs ea) cleaned, leaving
- the heads and tails intact
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper or to taste
- 2 large carrots sliced thin
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 celery ribs sliced thin
- 1/2 cup coarsely-chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup coarsely-chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter - (1/2 cup) melted
- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine
Sprinkle the bluefish inside and out with the salt and the pepper. In a large bowl combine the carrots, onion, celery, dill, basil, and parsley. Spoon three-fourths of the stuffing into the fish, reshape the fish, pressing them closed, and arrange them cut-sides down in a baking dish just large enough to hold them.
Arrange the remaining stuffing around the fish and pour the butter and the wine over the fish. Bake the fish in the middle of a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until they just flake.
Transfer them carefully with spatulas to a platter, and spoon the stuffing around them.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.