Paleo Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound of ground Italian hot sausage.
- 5 assorted bell peppers. I went with 2 green, 2 red, 1 yellow.
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, grated or chopped into a “rice” consistency.
- 1 small (8 ounce) can of tomato paste.
- 1 small white onion, medium dice.
- 1/2 head of garlic, minced.
- 1 small handfull of fresh basil, minced (or 2 tsp. dried).
- 2 tsp dried oregano.
- 2 tsp dried thyme.
Adapted from paleopot.com
Cut the tops off of your peppers and scoop out and discard the seed, yet do save the tops
Process or chop about half a head of cauliflower into “rice” and put in a large mixing bowl.
Add your minced garlic, basil, and dried herbs, and onion to your cauliflower and mix by hand.
Use a very hot skillet to lightly brown your sausage. This step is entirely optional based on your motivational level. The sausage will cook just fine in your slow cooker, yet I personally like to hit it with a little sear to take the flavor up a notch.
Add your sausage and can of tomato paste to your bowl of seasoned cauliflower and mix by hand.
Fit as much of your sausage mixture into your peppers as you can.
Place your peppers into your slow cooker and loosely place the pepper tops back on. If you have extra meat and cauliflower mixture, just jam in between your peppers and let it cook. You could save it for a breakfast scramble.
Cook on low for 6 hours.