Fish Pie with Prawn, smoked Salmon and Dill
- FOR THE FILLING
- 1 * 1 litre milk
- 65 * 65g butter
- 65 * 65g plain flour
- * bunch spring onions , green and whites separated and both very finely chopped
- 3 * 3 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringues - see 'Goes well with', below)
- 3 * 3 tbsp dill , chopped
- 120 * 120g pack smoked salmon trimmings (I used the budget range)
- 2 * 2 x 400g packs frozen basa or pollack fillets, thawed, patted dry, cut into chunks
- 190 * 190g pack cooked, peeled prawns , thawed if frozen and patted dry
- FOR THE POTATO TOPPING
- 2 * 2¼ kg potatoes , peeled, cut into chunks
- 50 * 50g butter
- 100 * 100ml milk
- Send to a friend Print this recipe In your binder
- Search Good Food
Difficulty and servings
Preparation and cooking times
Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20 mins until tender. Drain, then mash with the green from the onion, the butter, milk and plenty of seasoning until smooth and lump-free.
2. Pour the milk into a pan and add the butter and flour. Cook over a medium heat, whisking until the sauce is bubbling and thickened. Stir in the white parts of the onion, then bubble again for a min. Cool for about 5 mins, stirring frequently, then add the egg yolks, dill and smoked salmon. Season to taste.
3. Divide the pollack between 8 x 300ml pie dishes or ramekins. Scatter over the prawns, stir then spoon over the smoked salmon sauce. Top each pie with mash, then cover and chill until ready to cook. They will keep in the fridge overnight.
4. Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Put the pies on baking sheets, then bake for 30 mins until bubbling and starting to turn golden. Serve with the broccoli (below).
Lemon butter broccoli
Beat 50g butter with the zest of a whole lemon and juice of half and season. Steam 900g broccoli florets for 8-10 mins, then drain and toss with the butter.
560 kcalories, protein 39g, carbohydrate 66g, fat 17 g, saturated fat 9g, fibre 5g, sugar 9g, salt 1.73 g
Recipe from Good Food magazine, February 2009.
You'll also love
- German Style Mashed Potatoes 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Cajun Seafood Gumbo 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Weight Watchers Fish 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Raspberry Sauce for Salmon 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Smoked Salmon & Cheese Mini... 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe