Cajun Seafood Gumbo
- 12 oz fresh or frozen peeled and deveined shrimp
- 6 oz fresh or frozen crabmeat
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth, heated
- 1 16-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1-1/2 cups sliced okra or one 10-ounce package frozen cut okra
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pint shucked oysters, drained
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from saveonfoods.gsnrecipes.com
1. Thaw shrimp and crab, if frozen. For roux, in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven combine flour and oil till smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 10 minutes more or till roux is light reddish brown.
2. Stir in onion, sweet red pepper, green pepper, garlic, salt, black pep per, and ground red pepper. Cook over medium heat for 3 to minutes or till vegetables are just crisp-tender, stirring often.
3. Gradually stir in hot chicken broth. Stir in undrained tomatoes, okra, and bay leaves. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
4. Stir in shrimp, crabmeat, and oysters. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes more or till shrimp turn pink and oysters curl around the edges. Discard bay leaves. Serve in bowls with rice.
You'll also love
- Roasted Beef Tenderloin and King... 4/5 (1 Votes)