Sweet & Sour Pork
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean pork butt, cut into 1'' squares
- Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 3/4 cup catsup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup juice from canned pineapple
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup white onion slices
- 1 cup green pepper chunks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch blended with 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks
Adapted from chinesefoodsblog.com
Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and water in a bowl and stir until the batter is the consistency of a smooth, thin stream.
Heat the vegetable oil in a kettle until it is very hot (375°F). Dip the pork chunks into the batter, allow excess to drip off, and gently drop them into the hot oil. Deep-fry for 12 minutes, then reduce heat to medium and deep-fry for an additional 10 minutes. Drain on paper towel.
In a bowl, blend the catsup, vinegar, pineapple juice and sugar. Pour the mixture into a preheated wok or large skillet and bring to a boil over high head. Add the onions and pepper, stirring over high heat, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
When at the boiling stage, add the cornstarch blend, return to a boil. Add the pineapple and the deep-fried pork chunks, stir well and serve immediately