Hoppin' John Noodle Bowls
- 1 (16-oz.) package dried black-eyed peas
- 3 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 5 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons fish sauce
- Toppings: Cooked rice noodles, chopped raw collard greens, sliced green onions, shredded cooked chicken, cilantro leaves, pickled okra, Asian hot chili sauce
Rinse and sort peas. Boil peas in water to cover in a saucepan over high heat 3 minutes; drain.
2. Bring broth and ginger to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add peas. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes or until peas are tender. Reduce heat to low, and stir in soy sauce and fish sauce.
3. Place desired toppings in individual bowls, and ladle hot soup over toppings.
Test Kitchen Tip: Cook rice noodles according to package directions, or sub angel hair pasta.