Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
- Ingredients for the Sauce:
- 4 -5 large chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 -inch thick strips
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour to coat the chicken
- 6 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour for the sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup half and half (or 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup heavy cream)
Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge both sides in flour. Heat 3 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Once oil is hot, add chicken and saute until golden. Work in batches if needed so you don't crowd your pan. Don't worry about cooking the chicken through; it still needs to go in the oven. Transfer chicken to a 13x9 casserole baking dish.
Wipe down the skillet with a paper towel. Add 3 Tbsp oil along with sliced mushrooms and diced onions and saute until soft and golden. Add garlic and saute another 1-2 min. Spread mixture over the chicken.
In a medium saucepan (or in the same pan you've been using), melt 3 Tbsp butter. Whisk in 3 Tbsp flour until lightly golden (1-2 min).
Add 1½ cups chicken broth, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, ¼ tsp pepper, and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup half & half and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pour sauce over the chicken and mushrooms. Cover with foil and bake at 350˚F for 45 minutes. Serve warm or hot over mashed potatoes, pasta or rice.