Mushroom Barley Soup
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms,quartered
- 1 pound Portobello mushrooms
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
Heat the oil in a large Duch oven, over medium high heat until shimmering.
Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Sir in the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook until the mushrooms are very wet, about 5 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook until the mushrooms are dry and browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the carrots, garlic, and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in the broth, water, and barley and bring to a simmer.
Partially cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the barley is tender, about 50 minutes.