Roast Chicken with Crisp Toasts and Ricotta
Worth every minute! Marsala sauce covers each serving of chicken layered on toasted rustic sourdough bread and ricotta/pine nut stuffing.
- SERVINGS: 4
- Chicken And Stuffing
- 1 3 1/2–4-lb. chicken
- Kosher salt
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 2 teaspoons flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3/4 cup fresh whole-milk ricotta
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 slices 1”-thick slices rustic sourdough loaf
- Marsala Sauce And Assembly
- 3/4 cup dry Marsala
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup spicy greens (such as arugula or watercress)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 180mins
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Chicken And Stuffing
Season chicken inside and out with kosher salt and chill, uncovered, 12–24 hours.
Let chicken stand at room temperature 1 hour.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°. Pulse sage and sea salt in a food processor until finely ground. Add pine nuts and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in ricotta, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stuff chicken with ricotta mixture, then tie legs together with kitchen twine.
Place chicken in a large ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven and rub all over with oil. Roast, basting every 10 minutes after the first 30 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 165°, 45–55 minutes. Brush butter over chicken and roast 5 minutes longer. Let rest 5 minutes.
Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet or a cutting board with a well. Place chicken on top of bread and pour pan drippings over (reserve skillet). Tent chicken with foil and let rest 15–25 minutes, allowing bread to soak up juices.
Marsala Sauce And Assembly
Heat reserved skillet over medium heat, then add wine, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet. Bring wine to a boil, reduce heat, and whisk in cream, broth, and butter until incorporated. Simmer, whisking often, until sauce coats the back of a spoon, 8–10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, and season sauce with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, heat a medium cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Transfer soaked bread to pan and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Set toasts aside.
Toss greens, 1 Tbsp. oil, and remaining 1 Tbsp. lemon juice in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper.
Remove twine from chicken. Spoon stuffing onto reserved toasts and arrange on a platter. Cut chicken into quarters and place on top of bread. Pour sauce around; drizzle chicken with more oil and serve with greens.
You'll also love
- Pork with Roasted Red Cabbage 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Fried Egg, Asparagus Crimini... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Mocha-Hazelnut Biscotti 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Sour Cream & Bacon Chicken... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Cornbread Dressing 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Zucchini & Goat Cheese Crustless... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Char Kuey Teow - Stir-Fried Rice... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Wings 4.8/5 (5 Votes)