SHRIMP SALAD w/Roasted Red Peppers
This recipe can also be prepared with large shrimp (26/30); the cooking time will be 1 to 2 minutes less. The shrimp can be cooked up to 24 hours in advance, but hold off on dressing the salad until ready to serve. The recipe can be easily doubled; cook the shrimp in a 7-quart Dutch oven and increase the cooking time to 12 to 14 minutes. Serve the salad on a bed of greens or on a buttered and grilled bun.
- 1 pound extra-large shrimp (21-25), peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice plus 1 additional tablespoon, spent halves reserved
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns plus ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Table salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons drained capers , rinsed
- 1 small shallot , minced fine (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced jarred roasted red peppers
1. 1. Combine shrimp, 1/4 cup lemon juice, reserved lemon halves, parsley sprigs, whole peppercorns, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt with 2 cups cold water in medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and cook shrimp, stirring several times, until pink, firm to touch, and centers are no longer translucent, 8 to 10 minutes (water should be just bubbling around edge of pan and register 165 degrees on instant-read thermometer). Remove pan from heat, cover, and let shrimp sit in broth for 2 minutes.
2. 2. Meanwhile, fill medium bowl with ice water. Drain shrimp into colander, discard lemon halves, herbs, and spices. Immediately transfer shrimp to ice water to stop cooking and chill thoroughly, about 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from ice water and pat dry with paper towels.
3. 3. Whisk together mayonnaise, basil, capers, shallot, peppers, and remaining tablespoon lemon juice in medium bowl. Cut shrimp in half lengthwise and then each half into thirds; add shrimp to mayonnaise mixture and toss to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and serve.