French Onion Soup
- 4 onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth (chicken broth will work too, in a pinch)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 french baguette, cut 1/2" slices (regular bread can work too)
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onions in the butter for 10 minutes, or until onions are tender.
2. Stir in the flour, ground pepper, and sugar to form a pasty mixture.
3. Add the beef broth, water, parsley, and thyme and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the wine and simmer for 10 more minutes. (This is the step were you will freeze your soup. Cool and place in zip lock bags).
5. Preheat oven to broil.
6. Fill individual oven safe bowls 3/4 full with the soup.
7. Place a slice of bread in top of the soup and cover with the cheese. Place bowls in the oven.
8. Broil in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.