Sesame Mushroom Kabobs
- 12 ounces fresh white mushrooms cleaned, trimmed
- 10 large green onions (scallions)
- 2 medium sweet yellow and/or green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons finely-chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted*, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
* To toast, place seeds in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir just until golden, about 30 seconds.
Cut mushrooms into 1/2-inch thick slices. Cut white parts of green onions into 1 1/2-inch pieces; finely chop enough green onion greens to make 1/4 cup; set aside for later use. Cut peppers into 1 1/2-inch squares.
Thread mushrooms onto skewers so they will lie flat on grill, alternating with green onion whites and pepper squares, threaded crosswise. Arrange skewers in snug-fitting baking dish.
To prepare marinade: In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the sesame seeds and the black pepper. Pour marinade over skewers; turn to coat all sides. Cover and marinate at room temperature 30 minutes or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator, turning once.
Preheat rack for outdoor grill or broiler. Place skewers on rack; grill or broil, brushing often with marinade, until mushrooms are tender and vegetables are browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
Sprinkle with reserved chopped green onion greens and remaining 1 tablespoon sesame seeds; serve hot or at room temperature.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Roasted Red Onion Stuffed With... 0/5 (0 Votes)