- 2 medium onions sliced
- 5 celery stalks chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 7/8 pound white button mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour - (heaping)
- 1 1/4 cups stock
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Paprika for garnish
Put the onions and celery into a large pan together with the butter or margarine and saute over a low heat until the onions are transparent. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the juices run. Add the mixed herbs and basil. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and seasoning and allow to cook gently for 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat, stir in the sour cream and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Heat very gently to serving temperature but do not allow to boil. Garnish with the chopped parsley and paprika and serve at once.
Serve on a bed of Walnut Rice - cook enough rice to serve 4 to 6 people and carefully fold in seasoning, a little butter, 1 crushed clove of garlic and 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Mary Ciarrocchi's Mushroom Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)