Grilled Vegetable And Mushroom Packets
- 1 pound portabella, crimini, or white mushrooms cleaned, trimmed, and quartered - (abt 5 cups)
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed, and cut into 3" lengths - (abt 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 large sweet red bell pepper cut 2" strips
- 1 large yellow summer squash - (abt 7 oz) halved lengthwise, sliced crosswise 1" pieces - (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 large zucchini - (abt 7 oz) halved lengthwise, sliced crosswise 1" pieces - (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 large sweet onion cut 10 wedges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves (or 1 tspn dried oregano, crushed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tspn dried thyme, crushed)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Preheat rack for outdoor grill until hot or oven to 450 degrees. Cut heavy-duty aluminum foil into 12- by 24-inch rectangle.
In large bowl, combine mushrooms, asparagus, bell pepper, yellow squash, zucchini, onion, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, thyme and pepper; toss until well coated. Place vegetable mixture in center of foil. Bring up longer sides and double fold securely. Double fold ends to seal, leaving room for steam to circulate inside packet.
Grill on rack on outdoor grill or bake in oven until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. Open ends of foil packet first to allow steam to escape; then open top. Serve over cooked pasta or rice, if desired.
This recipe yields 6 servings.