Black Eyed Beans With Mushrooms
- 7 7/8 ounces black eyed beans washed, and soaked overnight in water
- 7 7/8 ounces fresh mushrooms cut thick slices
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large onion peeled, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves peeled, chopped fine
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 fresh green chilli (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 2 cinnamon sticks (or 1 tspn ground cinnamon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
Boil the beans in plenty of water until tender (45 to 60 minutes).
Heat oil in a fry pan. When hot, add the cumin seeds and cinnamon sticks. Sizzle for 5 seconds. Add onion and garlic and fry until light brown. Stir through the mushrooms. Add the tumeric, chilli, salt, ground coriander and ground cumin. Turn in the hot oil with the mushrooms. Add tomatoes. Cook, covered for 10 minutes.
Add the beans with a cup of the cooking water, or plain water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer and leave for 30 minutes, occasionally stirring. Serve with a sprinkle of garam masala and fresh coriander.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Baked Mushroom Wraps 0/5 (0 Votes)