Nancy's Mushroom Soup
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup barley rinsed
- 7 dried shiitakes - (to 10) stemmed, rinsed
- 1 medium potato peeled, cubed
- 1 onion sliced
- 7 common store mushrooms - (to 10) sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup dry wine wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 tspn dried thyme)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Bring the beef broth, barley, dried shiitakes, and potatoes to a boil; reduce to a simmer.
In a sauté pan or skillet, sauté the onion and common store mushrooms in the butter until the onion is translucent. Mix in the flour and stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the white wine and add the thyme. Gradually stir this mixture into the soup using a whisk to prevent lumps from forming. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Continute to simmer the soup for 20 minutes or until the barley becomes soft.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 first course servings.
You'll also love
- Mushroom Potato Kugel 0/5 (0 Votes)