Chocolate cherry skillet cake
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 can (21oz.) cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (18.25 oz.) devil's food cake mix
- 1 jar(11.7oz.) hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Frozen vanilla yogurt or thawed, frozen fat-free whipped topping (optional)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray Family skillet with oil using spritzer. Separate eggs over bowl using an egg separator; set yolks aside for another use. Lightly whisk egg whites. Add pie filling, water and almond extract; mix well. Add cake mix; mix until well blended using a scraper. Pour batter over bottom of skillet, spreading evenly.
2. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Using mitts carefully remove from oven to a rack; cool 10 minutes. Loosen edges of cake with a scraper. Carefully invert cake onto a round platter or heat safe serving plate.
3. Using a scraper, stir ice cream topping until smooth; carefully spread evenly over top of cake. Sprinkle almonds evenly around top edge of cake. Cut into wedges. Serve warm with frozen yogurt or whipped topping, if desired.
To toast almonds, spread almonds in a single layer over bottom of small bar pan. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.