Fish Tacos With Chipotle Crema And Salsa Fresca
- MEXICAN CHIPOTLE CREMA:
- 20 corn tortillas
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Southwestern Essence plus
- more for dusting (see Southwest Spice recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 pounds firm white fish cut 4" x 1" x 1/4"
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 4 cups shredded mixed green and red cabbage
- Lime wedges
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 4 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- SALSA FRESCA:
- 4 large tomatoes - (abt 2 1/2 lbs) seeded, and roughly chopped
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 Serrano peppers stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and place in the oven until soft and pliant, about 12 minutes. Remove and keep wrapped until ready to use.
In a large pot or deep fryer, heat the oil to 350 degrees over high heat.
In a large bowl, beat the egg with the milk and water. Add the flour, Essence, and baking powder, and whisk to make a thin batter. Dip the fish in the batter, turning to coat, and shake to remove any excess. Fry in batches in the oil until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels, and season lightly with the Essence.
Stack 2 tortillas together on plates, and top with the fish. Squeeze with lime juice, and top the fish with cabbage, crema, and salsa to taste. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
Mexican Chipotle Crema: In a bowl, mix the half-and-half, cream, and sour cream. Let crema sit at room temperature for 24 hours to develop culture.
In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the cream mixture with the peppers, adobo sauce, and salt. Process on high speed until smooth.
Serve with the fish tacos or other dishes, as desired. (Makes about 2 cups)
Salsa Fresca: Combine all the ingredients and stir well to combine. Let salsa sit for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend.
Serve as an accompaniment to fish tacos, or other dishes, as desired. (Makes about 3 cups)
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.