Pho Ga Asian-style Noodle Soup
Many of the ingredients can be your choice along with the broth. Use favorite meats and vegetables. Fun family meal with Asian soup spoons and chopsticks. They sell plastic spoons and cheater chopsticks in most oriental food sections of grocery store.
- 5 cups chicken broth or chicken stock with 1/2 cup water
- 4 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled ( I use the minced or chopped garlic from a jar)
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped (I use the ginger from a jar and mince it)
- 2 star anise (found in bottled spices)
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce ( found in soup or Asian foods)
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar or sugar substitute
- 12 oz. cooked shredded chicken ( Floyds makes a container of shredded meats without the BBQ sauce, I use this since the hard work is already done)
- 4 cups cabbage: either Napa, regular, bok choy even spinach or use a mix of several
- fresh snow pees about handful
- fresh bean sprouts about a handful
- 2 green onions white and green parts, sliced thin on an angle
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts chopped (either peanuts or cashews)these are optional
- 1 package any favorite Asian noodles or even spaghettini enough for 2 oz. for each person. cook according to package directions. Don't over cook and drain
Adapted from google.com
Start with making the broth by bringing all ingredients for broth to a boil. Remove star anise and discard. Continue to simmer broth till everything else is done. After noodle are cooked, drain and separate into soup bowls. Add shredded meat just to heat and strain from broth.
Next assemble the soup in order: noodles in soup bowl, add cabbage on one side of the bowl (if you prefer the cabbage sautéed along with snow pees instead of raw just don't cook them), add heated meat to other side of bowl, Add bean sprouts in middle and sprinkle the green onions over top and add the chopped nuts.
Final step, ladle the hot broth over the soup and serve