Fresh Eggplant And Roasted Red Pepper Panini
- 12 slices eggplant - (abt 1/4" thick)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 slices Italian bread - (1/4" thick)
- Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound Fontina cheese thinly sliced
- 2 medium red peppers roasted, peeled, seeded and julienned
Season both sides of the eggplant with salt and pepper. Let sit for 2 minutes. In a large sauté pan, over medium-high heat, add 1/4 cup of the oil. Pan-fry the slices of eggplant in batches until golden brown on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Using a paper towel, wipe out the sauté pan and repeat the above process with the remaining oil and eggplant.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brush both sides of the bread with the extra-virgin olive oil. Season both sides with salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet. Place 3 slices of the eggplant over each slice of bread. Lay a couple slices of cheese over the eggplant. Top the cheese with some of the peppers. Place in the oven and bake until the cheese melts, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
This recipe yields 4 servings.