Pasta, Sausage and Bean Soup
A little grated Parmesan sprinkled on top is a nice addition. It's a very hearty thick soup for a cold winter evening.
This soup is at its best the next day, after all the flavors meld together.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausages, castings removed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 celery stalk with leaves, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 5 cups canned chicken broth + additional if needed.
- 1 14 1/2-to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes ( I use with Zesty Jalapenos)
- 1 15- to 16-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup small macaroni (ditalini, orzo, ancini de pepe or elbows)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausages and sauté until beginning to brown, breaking up with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, basil, rosemary, crushed red pepper and sage. Sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes with their juices and beans. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors blend, about 20 minutes.
cook macaroni until al dente and add to soup and simmer another 5 minutes.
You may need to add extra chicken broth after pasta has absorbed more of the liquid.