Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
- 4 T. butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- a few dashes of paprika
- Mac and Cheese-
- 1 lb. box of macaroni; elbows, shells, cavatappi or gemelli
- 2 eggs
- 2 12 oz. cans of evaporated milk
- 2 tsp. powdered dry mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Tabasco
- 16 oz shredded sharp cheddar
- 8 oz. shredded parmesan reggiano cheese
- 8 oz. finely chopped Velveeta
- (All 3 cheeses should be combined into one bowl and tossed evenly with each other)
- 8 T. unsalted butter
Adapted from weheartthis.com
Melt butter over medium-high heat, add salt and paprika. Add panko and coat thoroughly with butter. Stirring frequently, heat until toasted, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine cans of evaporated milk, eggs, mustard, salt, pepper, and Tabasco in a bowl and whisk together until ingredients are well-combined and eggs are completely beaten. Set aside.
3. Boil pasta in salted water for the time given by the al dente instructions on the box.
4. Once pasta is cooked, drain and return to pot. Toss with unsalted butter until coated.
5. Give evaporated milk mixture a few extra whisks and then add to pasta with half the cheese, stirring over medium to medium high heat until cheese is melted. Add remaining cheese and continue stirring until thoroughly melted.
6. Transfer to a large baking dish and top with toasted panko. Bake on top rack of oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
If you use a disposable foil pan, place a cookie sheet underneath it while baking so the bottom doesn’t burn.