Sour Beef & Dumplings
- sour Beef:
- 3 lb eye roast, quartered
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1 cup sugar
- ground black pepper, to taste
- pickling spices, whole bottle
- apple cider vinegar to cover
- Gingersnap cookies, whole box, crushed or processed into powder
- 4 cups Bisquick mix
- 1 1/3 cups milk
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 60mins
1) in a large, non-reactive bowl, combine eye roast, onions, sugar, pepper, pickling spices. Add enough apple cider vinegar to cover meat. Cover and soak in the refrigerator overnight.
2) In a large pot, dump the entire contents of the bowl. Add water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 2 hrs. Remove meat and keep warm.
3) Strain pot liquid. Dissolve gingersnaps in some of the hot liquid from pot. Stir to make a loose paste. Slowly add the gingersnap slurry back to pot. Stir, cover and simmer for about 15 mins. Gravy may need to be strained again before serving.
1) Stir ingredients until soft dough forms.
2) Drop by spoonfuls into boiling gravy (or boiling water or broth); reduce heat.
3) Cook uncovered 10 mins. Cover and cook an additional 10 mins.