Sneaky Chickpea Burgers
Forks Over Knives
For those of you that need to sneak veggies into your kids at every opportunity, this one’s for you! Our girls have no idea that these burgers have both carrots and red pepper … and I’ll keep it that way for a while.
Although most children do not like dijon mustard, garlic, or some fresh herbs, they will likely not notice these ingredients at all! Our daughters devour these burgers without ever noticing the seasonings (or the veggies)!
- 1 cup disc-cut carrots
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Bedlam-large clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 14-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas),drained and rinsed
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves or 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or ketchup
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon tahini (optional)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from google.com
1. In a food processor, process carrots with bell pepper and garlic until crumbly and broken down.
2. Add remaining ingredients except rolled oats and process through. Stop processor a few times and scrape down, then continue to process until smooth.
3. Add rolled oats and pulse through.
4. Remove bowl and place in fridge to chill mixture for about 30 minutes. Be sure to chill; it really makes the burgers easier to shape.
5. After chilling, take out scoops of mixture and form burgers in your hands.
6. To cook, place patties on a nonstick skillet (that has been wiped with a touch of oil) over medium or medium-high heat.
7. Let cook on one side for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Flip and let cook for another 5-7 minutes on the other side.
9. Serve on buns with fixings of choice!