Homemade Mushroom Soup by Season with Spice
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms -
- cleaned and chopped finely
- (I used a mix of swiss brown
- and white button)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 - 2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp flour dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- Dash of nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or thyme for garnish
- Read more: http://blog.seasonwithspice.com/2011/12/cream-of-mushroom-soup-recipe.html#ixzz2C8VQraLy
1. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan. Add butter and lightly sauté garlic on medium heat.
2. Add in mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the moisture from the mushrooms disappears.
3. Add in chicken broth. Stir occasionally until broth boils, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4 Add diluted flour in, and stir constantly (while simmering) until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and nutmeg. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Finally, add milk and heavy cream, and bring to a simmer. Turn heat off.
6. Serve hot in your soup bowl. Add freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley or thyme if you have them on hand. And warm up this holiday season!
Read more: http://blog.seasonwithspice.com/2011/12/cream-of-mushroom-soup-recipe.html#ixzz2C8VUGARZ