Tabbouleh - Texas de Brazil's recipe
Traditional Middle Eastern salad. Super easy, super healthy and super good!
- 1 cup fine grain Bulgur wheat, soaked overnight in 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup olive oil (Note, original recipe called for 1 cup. I found this to be too much)
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 bunches Italian flat parsley, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato, diced (with juice and seeds)
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Strain the water from the bulgur and squeeze it well to remove any excess liquid. Transfer the bulgur to a large bowl.
Add the oil and lemon juice and mix well with a silicone spatula.
Gently mix in the parsley, tomatoes, onion and mint and season with salt.
Taste and add more salt, lemon juice, or oil if needed.
The tabbouleh can be served immediately or chill overnight and serve the next day.