Black-eyed Pea Casserole
Recipe courtesy of Sarah Bladorn. From: Southern Recipes Cookbook: Make-ahead Casseroles. Special Collector's Issue. Hoffman Media, c2017.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs ground sirloin
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 (15 oz.) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (10 oz.) can mild tomatoes with gree chiles drained
- 1 1/4 cups finely shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (6 oz.) pkg buttermilk cornbread and muffin mix, such as Martha White
- 2/3 cup whole milk
Adapted from hoffmanmedia.com
1. Preheat oven to 450º. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell peppers; cook until softened, stirring occasionally, approximately 4 minutes. Remove from pan. Add beef to pan; cook until browned and crumbly, approximately 5 minutes. Drain beef, if necessary. Stir in onion mixture, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, black pepper, salt, peas and tomatoes. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
2. In a medium bowl, combine cornbread mix, milk and remaining 1/4 cup cheese; whisk until smooth. Pour batter over cheese layer, leaving approximately a 1/2-inch border.
3. Bake until cornbread is golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes. Lightly cover with aluminum foil during last 2 minutes of baking time to prevent excess browning, if necessary.
You'll also love
- Black-Eyed Pea Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)