Risotto-Style Barley With Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 12 ounces button and/or crimini mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 1 large portobello mushroom gills removed, cap and stem chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 5 cups canned low-salt chicken broth more if needed (or vegetable broth)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add all mushrooms; sauté until golden brown, adding 1 to 3 tablespoons water if mixture is dry, about 15 minutes. Stir in herbs and garlic. Add barley and stir 1 minute.
Add 4 cups broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook until liquid is almost absorbed and barley is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir 1 cup broth and tomato paste into barley. Cook uncovered until barley is tender and mixture is creamy, stirring occasionally and adding more broth if necessary, about 10 minutes. Stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 6 servings.