Cuban Ropa Vieja Flatbread (Crockpot)
Tender slow cooked beef is the star to this flatbread. 6-8 hrs on low in crockpot.
- 2-3 lb flap or flank steak
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced into strips
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled & smashed
- 2 t salt
- 2 t coarse black pepper
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/2 c red wine vinegar
- 1 can beef broth
- Ropa Verja Sauce
- Green bell pepper, garlic & onion from the crockpot
- 3 T EVOO
- 2 c beef broth
- 6 oz can tomato sauce
- 8 oz can tomato paste
- 1 t dried oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 whole package flatbread
- 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 t dried oregano
- Ropa Vieja
- 1/2 green bell pepper sliced into thin strips
Place all ingredients for steak in crockpot in order. Add beef broth to just cover the steak. Set on low & cook 6-8 hrs. When meat is fork tender, remove from crockpot & finely shred into separate dish.
Ropa Verja Sauce: Remove onion, garlic & peppers from slow cooker with slotted spoon. Heat oil over med heat in Lg frying pan & sauté vegetables removed from slow cooker. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste & beef broth. Add shredded beef to the tomato mixture & cook approximately 20 min, stirring occasionally.
Flatbread: Preheat oven to 375. Place flatbreads on cookie sheet. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese & sprinkle with oregano. Place cooked Ropa Veija evenly over cheese. Place thin slices of green bell pepper over the Ropa Vieja. Cook for 10 min. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Steak in Sauce - Cuban Bistec en... 5/5 (1 Votes)