Cuban Frijoles Colorados (Red Bean Soup)
- 12 oz. bag of Red Kidney Beans
- 5 cups water
- 4 Spanish chorizos (not spicy), cut in chunks
- 1 smoked ham hock (lacon), leave whole
- 1 lb. smoked ham, cut up in chunks
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 lbs of calabaza (Caribbean squash) you can also use banana squash — peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and cubed
Adapted from hispanickitchen.com
1. Soak beans in water overnight or for at least 2 hours (the water should cover the beans and will be almost all absorbed).
2. In a pressure cooker, add the beans (any any left over water) plus 5 cups water and ham hock.
3. Put the lid on the pressure cooker and seal. Cook on high until the cooker pressurizes and then lower the heat to medium and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from heat until all pressure is gone. Remove the lid.
5. Set on low heat and add the rest of the ingredients.
6. Without replacing the lid, return to heat, taste for salt and pepper, add more if needed. Set on medium for about 60 minutes until the soup is thick enough to coat a spoon.
We usually serve the potaje over white rice or with a couple of slices of Cuban bread accompanied by an avocado and onion salad and a hearty glass of red wine.