Ropa Vieja - Cuban Meat Stew
Ropa Vieja is a main course of shredded and braised beef with plenty of healthy, tasty vegetables, like onions, peppers and olives. Our GOYA® Ropa Vieja recipe is sure to satisfy the hungriest of appetites.
Lots of rice adds fluffy texture to a full plate, too. Serve Ropa Vieja with GOYA® Frozen Ripe Plantains for a classic Latin pairing.
- 2 tbsp. GOYA® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 lbs. flank steak, cut in 3”x 4”pieces
- GOYA® Adobo with Pepper, to taste
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 green bell peppers, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 jar (6 oz.) GOYA® Sofrito
- 3 tsp. GOYA® Minced Garlic or 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 oz.) GOYA® Tomato Sauce
- 1 packet Sazón GOYA® with Coriander and Annatto
- 1 packet GOYA® Powdered Beef Bouillon
- 1/4 tsp. GOYA® Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup GOYA® Spanish Olives Stuffed with Minced Pimientos, sliced
- 1 jar (2 oz.) GOYA® Capers, drained
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups cooked CANILLA Extra Long Grain Rice
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 180mins
Adapted from goya.com
Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Season meat with adobo. Add steak to pot and cook in batches, flipping once, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer meat to a plate. Lower heat to medium. Stir in onions and peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add Sofrito and garlic to pot; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in 3 of cups water, tomato sauce, Sazón, beef bouillon and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Return beef to pot. Lower heat to medium low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Stir in olives and capers. Cover pot; simmer until meat shreds easily with fork, 1 – 1½ hours, adding more water in
¼ cup measurements, if pot becomes dry.
Transfer meat to work surface; shred meat with two forks. Bring remaining sauce to a boil. Mix meat and cilantro into sauce. Serve with white rice.