Corn Maque Choux
Creole dish that goes with almost any meal.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 pinch creole seasoning, or to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 (20-ounce) package frozen corn kernels
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crisp, about 10 minutes; drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.
Allow bacon to cool; crumble and set aside.
Melt butter with the bacon drippings in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, celery, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, thyme, salt, black pepper, parsley, and Creole seasoning in the butter mixture until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 more minutes.
Mix in beef broth and corn; bring to a boil.
Cover the saucepan and reduce heat to low; simmer until broth is nearly evaporated and vegetables are tender, about 20 more minutes. Stir in crumbled bacon. Dish can be simmered longer or held over low heat if desired.