Creamy Spring Pasta
This dish is luxuriously creamy, but the pasta soaks up the sauce quickly. Be sure to serve right away. Use refrigerated pasta to cut several minutes off the cook time.
- 3quarts3 quarts water
- 2ounces2 ounces French bread baguette, torn into pieces
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon butter
- 33 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 1/2cups1 1/2 cups (2-inch) diagonally cut asparagus
- 1cup1 cup frozen green peas
- 6ounces6 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 2teaspoons2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3cup1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4cup1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1cup1 cup milk
- 3ounces3 ounces cream cheese
- 1ounce1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup packed)
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from ci6.googleusercontent.com
1. Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven.
2. Place torn bread in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs form. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 garlic clove to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add breadcrumbs; sauté 3 minutes or until golden brown and toasted. Remove breadcrumb mixture from pan; wipe pan clean with paper towels.
3. Add asparagus and peas to boiling water; cook for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Rinse under cold water; drain.
4. Add pasta to boiling water; cook 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
5. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and the remaining 2 garlic cloves; cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Place flour in a small bowl; gradually whisk in chicken broth. Add broth mixture and milk to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; add cheeses, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheeses melt. Add pasta, asparagus, and peas; toss well. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and tarragon.