Vegetable-Loaded Pasta Bake
- 8 ounces dried whole wheat penne pasta (2 3/4 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower florets (1/2 medium head)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 12 ounces kale, stems removed, leaves torn (12 cups)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large Dutch oven cook pasta according to package directions; add cauliflower during the last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain; rinse. Set aside.
2. In the same Dutch oven cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add carrots and celery; cook just until carrots are tender. Add kale; cook just until wilted. Stir in pasta mixture, peas, and corn.
3. For cheese sauce, in a small saucepan melt butter; stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add milk all at once; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; add cheddar cheese. Cook and stir until melted. Stir sauce into pasta and vegetables. Transfer to a 2 1/2-quart casserole. Bake, covered, for 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake 5 minutes more.