Chinese Vegan Sweet and Sour Pork
- BATTER INGREDIENTS
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp egg replacer powder
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- just under 1/2 cup warm water
- SWEET & SOUR INGREDIENTS
- 6 vegan sausages pre-fried and chopped into chunks.
- approx 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- vegetable oil for deep frying (a few cups)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup agave
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch, premixed into a paste in a small cup, with 4 Tbsp cold water
- 1 heaped Tbsp vegan instant tomato soup powder (optional)
- 2 drops natural red food colouring
- 2 heaped Tbsp thick tomato ketchup
- 15 pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (reserved from can)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 large white onion,
- 1 red chilli (optional, if you wish to make this dish hotter)
1.First combine the flour and cornstarch in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2.Then stir in the egg replacer, and vegetable oil.
3.Now slowly add the warm water, mixing with a fork or small hand whisk as you do so, until you have a smooth, thickish batter – however, it should still be able to fall off the back of a spoon. Cover, and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
4.Meanwhile, you can prepare your sausages.
1.First, fry your sausages until they have a little color. remove from heat, allow to cool , cut each one into about 5 pieces, and marinate in a little soy sauce in a bowl, cover and place in the fridge.
2.Now it’s time to make your sweet and sour sauce.
3.Blend all the sauce ingredients (except the chopped vegetables and pineapple) together in a mixing bowl, using a hand blender. Pour into a small saucepan, cover set aside.
4.Chop the green pepper and white onion into approximately 1” pieces, and set aside in a bowl, covered, in the fridge. Likewise, put your pineapple chunks into a bowl, cover, and place in fridge.
5.Next, preheat your oil in a deep pan.
Then dip each piece of sausage into the batter mix, making sure to cover it completely from all sides, and then place on a large dinner plate. When ready, pour any remaining batter over the top of the sausages on the plate.
7.Using a metal strainer, place around 3 or 4 sausage pieces on it, and immerse them gently into the hot oil, ensuring you don’t have more than about 8 pieces in the pan at a time. Deep frying should take around 4 minutes, but do test one piece to ensure the batter has become crunchy on the outside. Be careful not to overcook it though. as you take each piece out, place on a paper towel to drain off any excess grease. Continue this process until all the sausage pieces are fried. Now place your sausage pieces in a small ovenproof dish, and place in a warm oven, so they will remain warm.
8.Meanwhile, on a very low heat, heat up the sweet and sour mixture in a small saucepan, and mix with a small hand whisk or wooden spoon, until it thickens.
9.When the sauce has thickened, stir in your pineapple chunks, and leave on the lowest heat setting.
10.Next, deep fry your green pepper and onion pieces for 1-2 minutes, before removing and placing on a piece of kitchen towel on a plate. These should remain almost raw but hot.
11.Preheat a large glass serving dish (you can do this in the microwave for a couple of minutes). Gently stir your sausage pieces, green pepper and onion mix, into the sweet and sour sauce mix, before transferring into your preheated serving dish. Feel free to garnish with some roasted cashew nuts.
You'll also love
- SWEET AND SOUR PORK 4.6/5 (55 Votes)
- Sweet and Sour Pork 4.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Chocolate chickpea chocolate chip... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Stir-Fried Broccoli & Water... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- White Beans with Spinach & Sausage 3.6/5 (118 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Onion... 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Gum-Lo Wontons With Sweet And Sour... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Sweet and Sour Pork 0/5 (0 Votes)