Vegan Baked Ziti
- 8 ounces ziti or other tube-shaped pasta of choice
- 8 ounces firm or extra-firm regular tofu
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ¹/₈ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup stemmed and chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups bottled marinara sauce or other tomato sauce of choice
- 1/4 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese or other vegan cheese of choice
Cook the ziti.
Meanwhile, crumble the tofu into a large bowl using your fingers. Add the nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, agave nectar, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper and mash with a fork until completely smooth.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9-inch square baking pan or casserole dish. Drain the ziti in a colander and add it to the tofu mixture along with the chopped spinach and parsley. Stir until well combined.
Place half of the ziti mixture into the prepared pan. Top it with half of the marinara sauce and half of the shredded cheese. Repeat the layering procedure with the remaining ziti, marinara sauce, and cheese. Sprinkle a little additional cheese or nutritional yeast flakes over the top, if desired. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned around the edges. Serve hot.