Pea Pickin' Cake
This cake goes by so many different names; Pig Cake, Pig Pickin' Cake, Pig Lickin' Cake, Mandarin Orange Cake, or Sunshine Cake. No matter what you call it, it's delicious! The flavors are bright and fresh and the whipped topping gives a nice light taste.
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 stick margarine, softened
- 1 can (14 ounce) Mandarin oranges, drained, 1/2 cup juice reserved
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box (4 ounces) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 can (20 ounce) crushed pineapple, juice reserved
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 ounces Cool Whip
- Extra Mandarin orange slices for garnish
Adapted from thecountrycook.net
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
For the cake, combine cake mix, margarine, 1/2 cup juice from the mandarin oranges, eggs, and vanilla.
Beat for four minutes on medium-high.
Add drained oranges and beat again until pieces are broken up and small.
Pour batter into greased and floured 9 x 13 inch baking pan or 2-8 inch round pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes for 9X13 pan or 17-21 minutes for 8 inch pans. Basically you want the cake to be lightly gold brown and set.
Remove from oven and cool completely.
Once cake is cool, blend juice from drained pineapples with the vanilla pudding mix.
Add powdered sugar and mix, then mix in whipped topping.
Stir in drained pineapple.
Spread on cooled cake (or layers if making a round cake) and refrigerate several hours.
Garnish each slice with a mandarin orange segment