A French daughter sauce from the mother sauce Béchamel. Tastes great with pasta, eggs, vegetables or fish. Simply put, it's a great cheese sauce.
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onions minced
- 1 each bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons swiss cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
Bring milk, onion and bayleaf to a full boil. Let stand for 10 minutes and strain.
Over low heat, melt butter in sauce pan, add flour, cook until light brown.
Gradually add milk and cream, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil.
Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
Cook over low heat, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
If not completely smooth, strain again.
Sprinkle in cheese. Stir until melted and smooth.
Serve with pasta, eggs, vegetables or fish.