Mexican Rice & Bean Casserole
A simple and healthy one-dish Mexican meal with rice, kidney beans, veggies and cheese. DELICIOUS!
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup converted rice
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
Adapted from foodwhine.com
In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and red pepper until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add water, rice, mushrooms, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Simmer covered until rice is tender and most of liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle with cheese and green onions. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes until cheese melts.
If you’re low on time you can just pop it in the microwave or under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.