Curried Mushroom Barley Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms sliced
- 8 ounces smoked ham diced
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cans ready-to-serve chicken broth - (13 3/4 oz ea)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes - (14 1/2 oz)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add carrots and onion; cook, stirring occasionally until carrots are nearly crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add ham and curry powder; cook, stirring constantly, until curry is fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and barley. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered, until barley is tender, about 10 minutes.
This recipe yields 4 servings.