Savory Tofu And Mushroom Scramble
- 1 package firm tofu - (15 oz)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 8 ounces fresh white mushrooms sliced
- 1/3 cup finely-chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red bell pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric (optional)
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
Press tofu block between several paper towels; let stand while preparing other ingredients (at least 5 minutes).
In a large skillet (preferably nonstick), heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and bell pepper; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Cook and stir until moisture has evaporated and mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes; remove to a bowl.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet. Crumble tofu into skillet; sprinkle with turmeric and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until evenly colored and no excess liquid remains in the pan, about 3 minutes.
Spoon reserved mushroom mixture over tofu; pour egg mixture over all. Cook, stirring gently, until mixture is consistency of soft scrambled eggs, about 3 minutes longer. Serve with grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese, if desired.
This recipe yields 2 servings.