Porcini Mushroom Soup
- 5 lbs very ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup freh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 pound porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 slices Tuscan or sourdoughbread (1/2 inch thick)
- Sprigs of mint
1. Cut tomatoes in half, and put into a largestockpotwith oil, garlic, thyme, basil, and mint leaves. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
2. While tomatoes are cooking, carefully wash porcini, removing any dirt or sand that may be attached. Slice mushrooms, lengthways, into 3/8-inch strips. Set aside.
3. Put tomato-herb mixture through food mill and transfer back to pot. Add mushrooms and salt to taste. Cook another10 minutes on medium heat. Add cream and warm through. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Toast bread.
4. To serve, place half a slice of toast in each bowl and ladle soup over it. Garnish with sprigs of mint.