Chef Ramsay's Meatloaf
Meatloaf filled with lovely sauted vegetables mixed with bread crumbs, milk and a wonderful blend of spices. Perfect comfort food.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork or sausage meat
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the onion, celery, pepper, spring onions, garlic, parsley, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes.
Add the evaporated milk and ketchup and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Discard the bay leaves.
Preheat the oven to 350° F (180°F.)
Place the beef and pork in a large bowl, add the eggs, breadcrumbs and vegetable mixture, and season. Place the mixture in an un-greased roasting dish and bake for 25 minutes. Raise the temperature 400°F and bake for a further 35-40 minutes.
Serve from the roasting dish.