Triple Mushroom Tart
- 1 folded refrigerated unbaked piecrust
- 1 cup chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh cinnamon cap mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby blue oyster mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon snipped marjoram
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese - (abt 3 oz)
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese - (abt 3 oz)
- 1/2 cup chopped Canadian bacon
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- Canadian bacon cut thin wedges
- Fresh marjoram
Follow the package directions to ease the pastry into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Gently press the pastry into the rounded flutes on the side of the pan, and trim the edges even with the top of the pan. Do not prick the pastry as you may do when cooking a pie.
Line the pastry with a double thickness of aluminum foil and partially bake in a 450 degree oven for about 8 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and continue cooking for another 4 or 5 minutes, or until set and dry, but not fully cooked. Remove the tart pan, then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
In the meantime, cook the shiitake mushrooms, cinnamon cap mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and marjoram in butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid has evaporated. Remove the mushrooms from the heat.
Combine the Gruyere and Swiss cheese, and the chopped Canadian bacon in a large bowl. Add the mushrooms, eggs, milk, and chives, stirring thoroughly to mix evenly. Pour the mixture carefully into the partially baked pastry shell. Bake in a 375 degree oven for around 20 minutes, or until it has "set up" and turned a beautiful golden brown.
Cool the tart in a pan on a wire rack for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan, cut into wedges. Garnish each piece with a wedge of Canadian bacon and fresh marjoram.
This recipe yields ?? servings.