- 1 pound fresh morel mushrooms trimmed, cleaned, and quartered
- 1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms trimmed, cleaned, and chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 quarts beef stock
- 5 medium celery ribs chopped
- 5 carrots chopped
- 2 large onions chopped
- 1 pound fresh white button mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the 4 tablespoons of butter. When melted, add the morel and shiitake mushrooms and saute for about seven minutes, or until thoroughly cooked.
Use a large stockpot to bring the beef stock to a simmer. Add the celery, onions, and carrots. Add the sauteed mushrooms to the soup. Add the white button mushrooms and cover. Cook until the vegetables are tender, for about one hour. Bring the soup to a boil. Stirring constantly, add the orzo. Reduce the heat to a gentle boil and cook until the orzo is tender, stirring from time to time to prevent the pasta from sticking.
Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth, for about 4 minutes. Remove about 1 cup of the broth from the soup and add gradually to the roux, whisking constantly until slightly thickened and lump-free. Stir the roux back into the soup. Add the parsley and the dill. Finish the soup by adding about a half cup of the thickened soup to the sour cream. Whisk until smooth and then add back to the soup, whisking constantly for about 3 minutes, or until thoroughly mixed. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Serve hot.
This recipe yields ?? servings.