Thai Beef and Basil
- 1 lb (450g) beef* (any cut that is suitable for stir-fry), thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 handful Thai basil leaves
- 2 tablespoon grape seed or canola oil
- 3-5 Thai bird's eye chilies, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 3 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
Adapted from beyondkimchee.com
1. Prep all the ingredients; slice the onion, chop the garlic and red chilies, remove stems from basil leaves and slice beef.
2. In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and water. Mix well and set aside.
3. While the water for the rice is starting to boil, heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok (or skillet) over med-high heat. Add garlic and chilies. Stir-fry for 10 seconds.
4. Add the beef. Stir-fry until the beef is no longer in pink, about 2 minutes (don't over cook). Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
5. Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the wok. Add the onion and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the sauce. Stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes until the onions are just soft.
6. Add the beef and heat through.
7. Add the basil leaves and remove the wok from the heat and shake everything to mix well.
8 .Serve immediately with jasmin rice.